Links to useful resources are compiled here for research students in Dr. Louie’s group. They are also being made freely available to anyone who might find them helpful. You are welcome to download any .docx files and modify however you wish for your own personal use. Feedback or corrections to Dr. Louie (email@example.com) are also appreciated.
General Advice for PhD Students
*Manufacturer’s guidelines should take precedence over any informal tips.
– Working Smart in Lab –
– Pre-Lab Questions – Pre-Lab-Questions.docx
– Zimmerman (2010). “10 Best Practices of Good Laboratories.” ASTM Feature Article.
Basic Laboratory Operations:
– Official guidelines – Sigma Aldrich / AceGlass
– Solvent miscibility table – Restek
– Additional tips (Louie lab) – GlasswareCleaningTips.docx
– Always read the manual for your specific device!
– Watch video lessons 1, 7, 11, 13, and 14: MIT OCW Digital Lab Techniques
– Sample preparation (Louie lab) – SamplePreparation.pptx
“Am I About to Break Something?”
– Chemical compatibility, centrifuging – AvoidableMishaps.docx
Nanoparticles and Colloids:
Read any applicable CEINT/NIST protocols. Some especially useful ones for our lab:
– Dynamic Light Scattering Protocol (NIST/NCL SP1200-6)
– Nanoparticle Dispersion Protocols (several)
– Ultrasonication Calibration and Optimization (NIST SP1200-2)
– Size Exclusion Chromatography with Multi-Angle Light Scattering – Coming soon
– High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) with Quadrupole Time of Flight Mass Spectrometry (QTOF MS) – Coming soon
Writing and Literature Review
– Some tips are provided in this video tutorial
– Critical Analysis of Scientific Literature –
(This document was prepared to help Ph.D. students for their qualifying exams, which involves a critique of a published article. It can also be useful for students to apply these questions while they are writing manuscripts about their own data.)
Templates and Formatting:
Grammar and Plagiarism Checkers:
Colloids and Surface Science:
– Hiemenz and Rajagopalan, Principles of Colloid and Surface Chemistry.
– Israelachvili, Intermolecular and Surface Forces.
– Elimelech et al. Particle Deposition & Aggregation: Measurement, Modelling, and Simulation.
– Ryan and Elimelech (1996). Colloid mobilization and transport in groundwater. Colloids Surf. A, 107: 1-56. DOI 10.1016/0927-7757(95)03384-X.
– Stumm and Morgan, Aquatic Chemistry, Chapters 9 and 14.
– Hiemenz and Lodge, Polymer Chemistry.
– Fleer et al., Polymers at Interfaces.
– Thurman, Organic Geochemistry of Natural Waters.
– Hilary Glasman-Deal, Science Research Writing for Non-Native Speakers of English.